[Bell Historians] Godalming

'Chris Frye' Chris@frye.org.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Mon Sep 4 10:50:46 BST 2017

>DLC:    "if Godalming old bells are so incurably dreadful as the article implies..."
>Richard Offen:  "...avoiding the bottom end of the clavier will only be a minor restriction"

I am not sure that I follow this, but I do not claim much expertise in bell tuning.

The article says that the old bells "sounded and went like a mixed set...retuning seemed unlikely to make much difference...the ring was heavy around the middle...". Those comments were in the context of change ringing bells.

In the context of the use of the bells for a newly planned carillon, is it not the case that there will be more options for retuning than if the bells were retained as a set for change ringing? One factor is that there are more notes to aim for. The comment that some of the bells were "heavy" perhaps supports that argument.

Chris Frye.

Posted by: "Chris Frye" <chris at frye.org.uk>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional