[Bell Historians] Squat bell

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl@swbell.net [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Mon Sep 11 05:17:31 BST 2017

The last word of the inscription is more likely FONDEURS.
There is a very large hour bell of similarly squat shape in the belfry of the royal castle of Fredericksborg, Denmark.  Unfortunately I did not have time to discover its maker and date when I visited there some years ago.
I've also seen two very squat American-made bells - one made of bronze from the Fulton foundry of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (very unlike all other Fulton bells I've seen) and one made of iron or steel by a New York City company.
I have no idea why the makers of these very unusual bells chose to use the particular shapes they did. Carl Scott Zimmerman
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA -
 - 19th c. home of at least 36 bell founders or resellers
Tel. +1(314)821-8437
Webmaster for www.TowerBells.org
 * Avocation: tower bells
 * Recreation: handbells
 * Mission: church bells

      From: "John Harrison john at jaharrison.me.uk [bellhistorians]" <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
 To: Bell Historians <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
 Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2017 2:53 PM
 Subject: [Bell Historians] Squat bell

One of the bells I saw while on holiday in France was extremely squat.
Excluding canons it was ~17" high and ~34" diameter.

 It was standing on a pallet so no idea what it sounds like.

There are pictures of it at:

http://jaharrison.me.uk/Temp/SarlatBell1.jpg
http://jaharrison.me.uk/Temp/SarlatBell2.jpg

The inscription (on the back and difficult to see, not visible in the
pictures) is:

1825 AUGUSTIN MARTIN PAINTANDRE ET CAUSARD TONDEURS

Any idea why it was that shape, which I haven't seen before?

Regards

--
John Harrison
Website http://jaharrison.me.uk