[Bell Historians] Thatcham tenor - a few bells are heavier than reputed

Ken Webb ken44webb@gmail.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Mon Sep 18 13:28:11 BST 2017

On 18/09/2017 11:19, 'Chris Pickford' c.j.pickford.t21 at btinternet.com
[bellhistorians] wrote:

> So the 18 cwt in Thatcham’s case is, surely, just an approximate value
> (not an exact weight). If you look at tenor weights (where the bells
> then and now are the same) in old editions of Dove, you’ll quickly see
> how approximate weights were seldom other than greatly in excess of
> the subsequently discovered actual weight (a striking instance is
> Church Honeybourne, reputed 19.75cwt, actual 12-1-0). Edington priory
> was one exception (estimated 23 cwt, and actually heavier at 25-0-6
> before tuning etc – now 24-0-24).

Another example of a new weight greater than previously is Bremhill,
Wilts tenor.
Reputed 18.3.19 in CBW by Walters 1929 (source of the weights not known
to me). Although the bells were rehung in a new frame in 1913 it appears
the larger ones were not removed from the tower after the work to the
tower in 1864 (sound chamber floor hole too small).
Actual 19.1.11 in 2011 before tuning, 17.2.5 in 2011 after tuning &
removal of cast in staple - both weights from Whitechapel. (The 5th was
reputed to be 14.0.0 & was actually 14.0.4 before tuning per
Whitechapel 2001.)
Regards
Ken