[Bell Historians] Thatcham tenor

'Anne Willis' zen16073@zen.co.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Mon Sep 18 17:53:42 BST 2017

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]

Sent: 18 September 2017 16:27
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Thatcham tenor

I can save Anne a hunt, I think, as she posted the following information to
this list in 2008

The accounts for the Hannington bells, which were cast by Richard Purdue I
at the same time as Highworth, are bound up with the parish registers. It's
rather good as the weights are given. [The 'IS' on the bells which seems to
have confused Walters is John Stubbs, the Vicar.] from WSRO1819/2, p.75 /
Our bells of this parish of Hannington were cast into five being before but
three in the yeare of the LD 1639; they were first plac'd in the tower and
ringed the 31 of December p'dict. This worke was done by the industry of
John Stubbes Mr of Arts and Vicar of this place: Hump: Yorke cooaptor & part
free guift of Ralfe Freke [&] William Freke, Dom Manerii / The trebell
weigheth 5 0 9 / The Second 5 0 11 / The Third 6 0 2 / The Fourth 7 3 15 /
The Fifth 10 2 11. / Humphrey Yorke was church warden from 1641-1647, and
among his disbursements are the following undated entries: for carringe the
bells to & from highworth at 3/- the carriage 9/-, for my expences at
highworth when the bells were cast 3/-, to Nicholus for bringing a load of
bels from highworth 3/- (Ex.inf. Anne Willis, Bell Historians, May 2008)

Without a total weight (or weights ending with 26 or 27!) or a rate per lb /
cwt it's hard to see if these are short or long cwt.

Chris Pickford

Thanks Chris

I have a feeling that there were some costs somewhere is why I thought short
cwt might be involved.

Anne