[Bell Historians] St. Paul's RC Church, Alnwick, Northumberland.

'David Kelly' david@thekloof.co.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Aug 5 15:13:43 BST 2018

The Keltek Trust received an enquiry from the church in 2001 whereby they were considering selling the bells to raise money towards the costs of rewiring the church. We referred the enquiry to a representative of the Durham & Newcastle ACR. We heard no more and the bells are still in-situ so hopefully they were talked out of scrapping the ring.

Dave

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: 05 August 2018 14:59
To: bellhistorians <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] St. Paul's RC Church, Alnwick, Northumberland.

No quarters have been recorded as being rung on them since 1960.

AAJB.

On 4 August 2018 at 19:00, Bryan McCahey b.mccahey at yahoo.com <mailto:b.mccahey at yahoo.com>  [bellhistorians] <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I've just returned from a week's holiday to Alnwick and had a look around St. Paul's Church, which according to Dove has an unringable eight (18-3-23 in E flat). The church building passed from C of E to RC ownership some time in the 1980s. I noticed a neglected-looking Ellacombe apparatus in the tower basement, which forms the main entrance to the church. The clock still chimes the Cambridge quarters and they sound very impressive.  I asked a lady on duty if she could tell me anything about the bells but she knew nothing. She was under the impression that they were not rung simply because there were no ringers. I have a vague recollection of hearing that the issue was relatively minor and concerned the wheels. Any info please? When were they last rung? (2 peals on Felstead database: 1892 and 1901). Bryan McCahey