[Bell Historians] bell dedications

'Anne Willis' zen16073@zen.co.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sat Aug 11 18:10:18 BST 2018

Thanks everyone

Anne

-----Original Message-----
From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]

Sent: 11 August 2018 13:30
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] bell dedications

On 11/08/2018 12:48, 'David Cawley' davidl.cawley at btinternet.com
[bellhistorians] wrote:
> I am sure that Chris is correct. To illustrate this, consider the
> bells of S Bartholomew the Great, London (complete ring, W. Culverden
c1510):

> 1: Bartholomew
>
> 2: Katherine
>
> 3: Anne
>
> 4: John the Baptist
>
> 5: Peter

I also nearly fell into the trap mentioned by Chris, when discussing the
possible origins of Fishlake bells with the churchwarden there.The former
tenor; (poss. pre1450; G Dawson) was dedicated to St. Nicholas; the church
to St. Cuthbert. The idea of a link between the church and bell dedications
doesn't stand much scrutiny. We know of cases where the bells of dissolved
abbeys were moved to parish churches. We know of cases where church
dedications have changed. There will, I feel sure, be demonstrable cases of
a bell being dedicated according to the wish of a donor. On reflection we
should be no more surprised by multiple dedications, none of them to the
patron, than we are by the (originally more numerous) side chapels and
alters dedicated to different saints.

Ted

------------------------------------

------------------------------------