[Bell Historians] Rust and the tonal characteristics of steel bells

davidbryant@hotmail.co.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Tue Jan 9 23:41:33 GMT 2018

"They were shot blast cleaned before being hung in Sheffield (apparently they were rusty again within a few days)."

Indeed they were! I remember helping David Potter with that job - they were taken to a local garage which had shotblasting facilities and were clean grey metal for a short time after that, but it was damp (winter, as I recall), and they soon had a coating of surface rust again. The museum were originally looking at having them coated with some sort of preservative but decided not to in the end.