[Bell Historians] WW1 memorial bells.

'Richard Offen' richard.offen@iinet.net.au [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Oct 14 03:51:26 BST 2018

The beautiful six now at Christ Church, Claremont (originally cast as a chime for St Paul’s, Canonbury) do not have inscriptions which indicate they were a WWI memorial, however an Inscription over west door of St Paul’s read:

+ TO THE GREATER GLORY OF GOD +

AND IN THANKSGIVING FOR PEACE AFTER THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919

THE CHIME OF SIX BELLS IN THE TOWER OF THIS CHURCH WAS DEDICATED ON JUNE 28TH 1920

Richard

(Ringer and Churchwarden at Christ Church, Claremont)

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Sunday, 14 October 2018 4:41 AM
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] WW1 memorial bells.

On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 at 19:22, 'AMH' hodgeam at btinternet.com [bellhistorians] <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hello - I wonder if Tim Jackson could do a custom search of the Dove data base for such bells? Bells installed in the 5 or so years from about 1918 would be a good starting point. The series of county books that post date 1918 would help refine information.

Alison

Alison,

Mary already asked that question of me last month, which I forwarded to Tim, who replied that it is not an attribute that we hold in the Dove Database, nor do we hold inscriptions.However he and the team did reply with the following list last month.

Tim Jackson <tim at timjackson.email>

18 September 2018 at 23:37

To: Graham John <graham.a.c.john at gmail.com>

Graham,

I'm afraid this is the best we can manage for the moment.  It has provided a moment of light relief from our focus on producing Dove 11.

I hope it is of some use.

Tim

  _____