[Bell Historians] WW1 memorial bells.

'Anne Willis' zen16073@zen.co.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Oct 14 18:19:57 BST 2018

I think care must be taken in assuming that bells cast after WWI are ‘war memorial bells’.  Two in the list are probably not; Westbury (Wilts; six bells recast into 8 by Taylors) and the G&J six at Corfe Mullen in Dorset.  I think if the latter were Chris Dalton would have mentioned it

Anne

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 14 October 2018 14:49
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] WW1 memorial bells.

All …

>From Hampshire, I have thus far identified as follows:

[Diocese of Guildford]
Aldershot:  St Michael the Archangel:  Two trebles of eight specifically inscribed as Soldiers’ bells were cast by M&S in 1920:  (However, the entire ring was recast by Taylors in 1960, so not clear if the trebles are still considered as memorial bells);

[Diocese of Portsmouth]
Alverstoke: St. Mary:  Bells 2 – 7 of the ring of eight – cast by Taylors in 1918 as WWI memorial bells.

[Diocese of Winchester]
Breamore: St. Mary:  This 12 cwt. ring of four were all recast in 1922 by Taylors.  Others in this thread have identified them as WWI memorial bells.

Southampton, Bitterne Park, The Ascension:  Bells 7 & 8 of the ring of twelve, cast by G&J in 1918 to mark the end of hostilities – then forming two trebles of six at St Maurice, Winchester, and transferred to Bitterne Park in 1957 when St Maurice’s was made redundant and subsequently demolished.

Whitchurch, All Hallows:  Two trebles of ten, formerly two trebles of eight, cast by M&S in 1919 as Memorial bells to local fallen.

Also: the following bells in the Diocese of Winchester were cast in the five years from 1918 – 1923, but I do not have evidence that these are specifically WWI memorial bells …

St John the Evangelist, Boscombe, Bournemouth: one bell:  cast by G&J in 1919;

All Saints, Hursley:  Bells 5 – 7 and 12 of 12;  Cast by G&J as three trebles and tenor of eight in 1923 when bells were augmented from 6.

St. Mary, Sholing, Southampton:  one bell: cast by G&J in 1920;

St. Catherine, Wolverton:  3rd of 6 recast in 1920 by M&S

St. Michael the Archangel, Southampton:  Back eight of 10, cast as an 8 by G&J in 1923. The two trebles of ten are specifically WWII memorial bells cast by Taylors in 1947, using metal from bells of the blitzed Holy Rood, Southampton.

Phil

Phil Watts

Bells Advisor, Winchester Diocesan Advisory Committee for the Care of Churches

Tel: 023 8025 2015           E-mail:  pag.watts at btinternet.com <mailto:pag.watts at btinternet.com>