[Bell Historians] Bells on Jersey and CBC Database project.

'David Cawley' davidl.cawley@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Wed Oct 31 00:10:06 GMT 2018

Now, Phil, surely the best thing to do would be to refer to “Church Bells of the Channel Islands” by me and Fred Sharpe, published by your own Association and still available!

You are perfectly correct in saying that there are three Anglican Churches (I take it that you are only referring to Anglican Churches) dedicated to St Martin in Jersey. They are those which you mention:

1. St Martin, S Martin le Vieux Parish Church. 1 bell 40.25”  12-3-18, badly cracked. Lester & Pack 1768. 6 plain canons. Not turned. Full details & photo on p.50 of my book.

2. St Martin, Gorey, S. Martin de Gouray. 1 bell  30” diameter  5-cwt. John Warner & Sons Ltd 1895. 4 Doncaster canons. Not turned. Full details on p.51

3. Grouville, S Martin de Grouville. 1 bell  43” diameter  14-cwt. Adolphe Havard, Villedieu 1881 (replacing the 1768 bell). 6 ornate canons. Not turned. Full details on p.22

The underlined name is the name of the administrative parish, and as Phil says, it is rather confusing that the church at Gorey, in St Martin’s Parish, is dedicated to S. Martin.

The chapel-of-ease to Grouville,  at S Pierre la Rocque which you mention, does have a bell  c14” diameter by Warner 1852 (early for them).

Yes, the CBC spreadsheet has become a bit muddled with his list (George will no doubt blast me for saying so). The list above should assist in rectifying, but please don’t hesitate to get directly in touch – davidl.cawley at btinternet,com or ring me on 01227 479871.

Cheers

David