[Bell Historians] Vandalls?

gareth@charollais.co.uk [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Tue Apr 9 15:56:00 BST 2019

I’ve been puzzling over an entry in the churchwarden accounts for Great St Mary’s in Cambridge. The puzzle is that the ringers paid half the cost of the work. This seems to have been a unique occurrence. All earlier and later costs of work to the bells, a least up to the 20th century, are paid for by the parish. What prompted their generosity? I am wondering if the work involved might have been to make the wheels/fittings more suitable for change-ringing, rather than the usual essential repairs. The date is 1629/30 so it might fit in with Tintinnalogia’s suggested timescale for the introduction of change-ringing. However, I can’t really make sense of what work was done. Can anyone help with an interpretation, especially of what vandalls were in this context?

 The entry reads: “Item for making vandalls of all the five wheeles & an Iron Rowle for the tenure and new stays to all the wheeles which amounted to 36 shillings whereof the Schollers that were Ringers paid 18s and the parish paid the other half which was xviijs”

 Any suggestions gratefully received

 Gareth