[Bell Historians] A potential WW1 fallen ringer

'Peter Rivet' peter@plrivet.plus.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Jan 27 15:39:35 GMT 2019

I had a look at these last year and the fittings all appear to date from 1887 – so I think the answer must be yes.  They are still in good order and are rung occasionally.

Peter Rivet

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 27 January 2019 15:22
To: Bell Historians <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Bell Historians] A potential WW1 fallen ringer

May I receive further help please.

Here is a chap I found on the internet, a potential entry for the Rolls of Honour.

Does anyone know if these bells were hung for full circle ringing at the time of WW1 please ?

Tatham, Lancs
S James Less

Bells  <https://dove.cccbr.org.uk/detail.php?searchString=Tatham&Submit=+Go+&DoveID=TATHAM&showBells=false> Hide Details

Bell

Weight

Nominal

Note

Diameter

Dated

Founder

Canons

Turning

1

4-2-17

	D#

28.50"

1771

(unidentified)

2

6-2-7

	C#

31.25"

1887

John Taylor & Co

3

9-1-21

35.63"

1887

John Taylor & Co

Source: GAD; A Birney; J Greenhough

Contributed by:  <https://dove.cccbr.org.uk/contact.php?toID=GAD&mailSubject=TATHAM> George Dawson
Last updated: 26/07/2017

St. James the Less Church Great War Memorial Window <http://www.tathamhistory.org.uk/st-james-memorial-window.php>

St. James the Less Church Great War Memorial Window

Tatham History: Article on the First World War memorial window in St. James The Less Church, Tatham, Lancashire ...

In memory of those who fought and died,
Joseph Winn (bellringer) and Arthur Harrison

  <http://www.tathamhistory.org.uk/resources/stjamesww1window/joseph-winn.jpg>

Joseph Winn was born in Bentham in 1875 but grew up at Ashleys farm in Tatham which was farmed by his parents Leonard and Ellen. His younger brother, John, later farmed at Millhouses farm and then at Lane Head farm, Millhouses. Joseph, however, appears to have left the district. In both 1901 and 1911 censuses he was returned as a mole catcher  -in Leicestershire, first at Coleorton and then in Ashby de la Zouch.

Joseph enlisted initially at Coalville, Leicestershire in the South Staffordshire Regiment but was transferred as a private in the Prince of Wales Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment) 5th Battalion, 55th Division.

Joseph died on 22 May 1918 and is buried in Houchin British Cemetery (memorial reference I.B. 16) aged 43. His next of kin was his brother John who gave his address as Mill House farm Tatham. He left £492.

Thank you,