[Bell Historians] Antwerp

lauradi@rcn.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Tue Jun 25 19:09:48 BST 2019

  On of our ringers is also a carillonneur, so I forwarded the question.  This is the answer (passed along with her permission).

I know it sounds G an octave and a half below middle C, so I would guess
around 5 tons (~100 cwt?), and I am pretty sure it is a modern bell, ie
20th not 17th century, so likely Eijsbouts? I have a couple photos, but
not comprehensive ones...all the text I see seems to be the usual "
$foundername made me in yyyy " stuff in Latin around the crown. So
possibly no inscription, though again I don't have photos of the whole
bell.

The source North Americans usually use is towerbells.org , and I think
there is some basic stuff there. But if the asker can read Dutch or deal
with Google translate, there is usually lots more info at beiaard.org ,
the website of the Flemish Carillon Society. There are drop-down menus in
the top right of the page, and one of the links there (De Beiaard --
Torens) leads to a list of the carillons in Flanders with linked
descriptions of most of them. Also, I believe the institution that deals
with the public-facing stuff related to the Antwerp carillon is the
Vleeshuis Museum...maybe they have some info, or someone could contact
them. (The carillon or tower, I can't remember which, is currently having
work done on it, so nobody can play there at the moment).

Laura Dickerson

Posted by: lauradi at rcn.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional