[Bell Historians] St James, Pretan Square.

Ted Steele bells@tedsteele.plus.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sat Oct 12 23:52:44 BST 2019

On 12/10/2019 20:57, La Greenall laalaagrr at googlemail.com
[bellhistorians] wrote:

> This almost certainly won't help, but just in case, /Pretan /is one
> form of the ancient Greek name for these islands, which when
> translated into Latin got corrupted into /Britain/.
>
> Could there be some sort of academic jest or pun going on here?

I couldn't rule that out, but nor can I suggest what the game might be.
Another possible candidate, (apart from Clerkenwell and Islington) is
Bermondsey. It seems the students crossed the river to ring at Lambeth
so perhaps also to Bermondsey. But again there is no obvious source for
the Pretan Sq. reference.

Ted