[Bell Historians] St James, Pretan Square.

Richard Smith richard@ex-parrot.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sun Oct 13 13:48:54 BST 2019

Ted Steele bells at tedsteele.plus.com [bellhistorians] wrote:

>       I suspect the practice would have been held on the old 6 at St
>       James, Prebend (not Pretan) Street, Islington.
>
> I had the same suspicion, but it would require a double error in the name;
> Pretan for Prebend and Square for Street.

No, just the one error.  Although the church is on Prebend
Street, it was formerly called St James, Prebend Square.
See for example Bell News, 17 Feb 1906, p 593.  I can't see
a Prebend Square in that area on any late 19th or early 20th
century Ordnance Survey maps, but maybe it was a local name
for the open area at the junction of Prebend Street and
Popham Road?

RAS

Posted by: Richard Smith <richard at ex-parrot.com>

<*> Your email settings: