[Bell Historians] St James, Pretan Square.

Ted Steele bells@tedsteele.plus.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Mon Oct 14 17:24:22 BST 2019

On 13/10/2019 20:04, La Greenall laalaagrr at googlemail.com
[bellhistorians] wrote:

> If you use the Booth map's search feature, it returns "Prebend Street
> parish", even though the map itself says "Square" - so this records
> the last vestiges of the old parish name before it was changed.

Thanks for the references to St James, Prebend Square etc. I had located
some of these myself and they jogged my memory that in fact I have a
copy of the church history somewhere which I picked up on a visit to
ring at the church in 2011 when it was open for the RW centenary
celebrations, or on an earlier attendance at practice. I can't put my
hand on that right now but a potted version of it is here
<http://stjamesislington.org/?page_id=26>. There is no mention of the
Prebend Square in this but it does clarify the situation about the
alleged redundancy of the church; which is incorrectly reported in one
of the references.  I cannot quite understand what is meant by "/T//he
'Prebend Field' was left by Lady Packington to Prebend Square"/.
Nonetheless, while this is for me a matter of interest it has probably
now ceased to have diredt relevance to this list. My original query
seems to have been well answered and I am grateful to all contributors.

Ted