[Bell Historians] Runcorn Bridge Bell

'Chris Pickford' c.j.pickford.t21@btinternet.com [bellhistorians] bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Tue Sep 3 12:27:26 BST 2019

I think this may be old news - interesting nonetheless. I heard about it in
2018, and my note indicates that the bell was actually removed by helicopter
in 2016. To save anyone else grappling with the video, here are the main
details:

Runcorn, Britannia Railway Bridge (between Runcorn and Widnes), Cheshire:
Bell by Naylor Vickers & Co, 1861. It was a fog warning bell (weighing 600
kg, with cast-iron stock, iron wheel and pedestal frame. Inscription Waist:
No 2396, Low waist: NAYLOR VICKERS & CO. 1861 [space] .CAST STEEL.), hung
100 feet up on the west side of the bridge. Removed by helicopter during
bridge refurbishment, May 2016. To be restored and displayed in the Brindley
Theatre at Runcorn (Ex.inf. Brian Russell, Runcorn, June 2018, and linked
web reports)

Chris Pickford