[Bell Historians] Clock Chime Queries

Michael A Williams michael at oldlight.co.uk
Sat Apr 11 17:07:17 BST 2020

The Eastgate Shopping Centre bells were put into storage during
refurbishment but I don't think there was a plan to return them. I believe
the bells were eventually dispersed as a neighbour of my parents acquired
one when she used to work for the City Council. This was then passed on to
me and is stored in my parents' garage. I believe it is the smallest from
the set. It is a very thick casting and the electro-magnetic clapper is
still fitted.

My dad worked at Baker's for a number of years and I became quite familiar
with the clock. The mechanism takes up a considerable space in the office
behind. I don't have any details but I will see if my dad can contact his
former colleagues for info although I doubt he will find anything until the
shop reopens. I recall the figures and striking mechanisms were restored
during his time there.

Michael