[Bell Historians] Lulls in bellfounding activity

Richard Johnston johnstonrh at rhj.org.uk
Tue Dec 29 12:36:19 GMT 2020

RAS, re 1688-1692:
> However I'm at a complete loss to know what the other two
> are.  1688 is, of course, the year of the Glorious
> Revolution, but I struggle to see why that have a pronounced
> effect on bell founding.

History is written by the victors, they say, and most influential
accounts of the 1688 Revolution and its aftermath were indeed written
by the beneficiaries of its outcome.

Some years ago I studied in depth from primary sources someone who
was involved in the Revolution and was close to the king, and who
remained active in English politics until 1710, and as a result I
gained a different set of perspectives.

The 1688 Revolution was a coup that overturned the existing polity,
led by people who were either foreign (from the Netherlands) or
English Puritans, and was unconstitutional by the standards of the
time.  It was, of course, glossed to make it look legitimate.

To those who who later would be described as Tories - supporters of
king and church ceremony (and hence the most likely people at all
periods to be bell donors) - it was seriously unpalatable.

True, James II had done many unconstitutional things which had
widespread disapproval, but the revolution had uncomfortable
resonances of Puritan rule between 1649 and 1660, which was still
well within living menory.  Few people wanted a repeat performance,
but it was far from impossible.

Hence to contemporary minds in 1688 the longer term outcome was
uncertain - would there be another civil war? Would Catholic France
invade to place Catholic James II back on the throne?

In the initial period after 1688, supporters of the revolution were
in the ascendancy within king William's government, but he was wise
enough to recognise he needed cross-party support, and his cabinet
(though use of that term is an anachronism) soon became broad-based
(against the wishes of his supporters) and by 1692,  fears of a
return to Puritan extremism had quietened down. Remarkably within 15
years, largely as a result of William's polity, politics based on
religious fanaticism (Puritanism) and quasi-religious ideologies
(divine right of kings) had become deeply unfashionable.

War with France did remain a problem, and there were such wars in the
1690s, though these were in pursuit of pre-existing Continental
conflicts with which William was associated in the Netherlands.  But
these wars, financially costly though they were (leading to the Bank
of England in 1694), were not about returning James to the throne.

But the dynastic problem did not completely go away, as the failed
rebellions of 1715 and 1745 revealed.  But by then, in England
attitudes to politics had become pragmatic, and neither rebellion
attracted much English support, and consequently the supporters of
the rebellions were mainly Scottish.

In conclusion, 1688-1692 was indeed a period of sufficient political
uncertainty to have suppressed demand for new bells.

Richard Johnston

 .