[Bell Historians] Bell history

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 3 20:16:11 GMT 2020

I researched the Highmoor bells a while back and wrote it up as “Joe o' Highmoor - a lament” in Ringing World 20 April 1984, pp.340-3, with some additional information in a letter “Joe o'Highmoor - a postscript” in Ringing World 14 September 1984 p.784. I don’t have digital versions of these articles but they can be accessed from the CD version for those who don’t have easy access to bound copies

Briefly, there was a Van Aerschodt chime of 1883/1885 at Highmoor with a 2-ton bass bell (eventually ten bells) – and “Joe”, the 176cwt Taylor hour bell cast in 1884. The articles give a pretty full account on these bells, although I have since found a few minor snippets of additional material. These bells were cast for the Banks family – who were also the donors of the heavy and now unringable eight at Silloth

The bell now at St.Aidan’s Carlisle seems to have been the clock bell in the original tower at Highmoor. The clock was supplied by Sir John Bennett of London in 1870, and the Whitechapel foundry records (which I have already searched for this bell) show that Mears & Stainbank invoiced Bennett for a bell weighing 17-0-8 “1/8 below E flat” on 11 April 1870. It cost £119 10s. The daybook doesn’t indicate that it was for Highmoor, but the index book for April 1870 lists “Highmoor, Wigton . Mr. Bennett. 1 17 cwt” which confirms the location

According to a local historian it was taken down when the new bells were hung but kept on the terrace at Highmoor until 1899 when it was given to Christ Church (sic), Carlisle

So the undated bell left the foundry in 1870 – and it most likely did come from Highmoor

Chris Pickford

E-mail pickford5040 at gmail.com