[Bell Historians] The ongoing evolution of Dove online

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Sun Jul 5 10:21:00 BST 2020

Richard Johnston wrote:

> Dove was only retaining current information, so when a
> recasting happened the info about the former installation
> was simply dropped, and as I was led to understand, not
> even retained as archive copies.

You're basically correct.  There is some provision in the
current system for storing details of old rings in the new
system, but it's really only suited to when a ring has been
replaced in toto, or has been lost, and it does not happen
automatically.  Details such as weights before tuning are
not stored.

> Whatever else happens, it must keep archive material.

Yes.  The new system is a complete redesign and rewrite from
the ground up which will move Dove to use a modern
relational database.  One of the design criteria was to give
it a full version system and audit log.  Details of every
change is recorded, however minor, and will be accessible to
the Dove Stewards who will also be able to view the details
of a tower as it was recorded in Dove at some past date (but
since deployment).  In due course, I imagine some of that
functionality will be made available to the public too.

RAS