[Bell Historians] The ongoing evolution of Dove online

Peter Whisker peter at whisker.org.uk
Mon Jul 6 08:52:42 BST 2020

Hi

Regarding drum chimes (erroneoneously sometimes called carillons).
Malcolm Loveday (Chertsey) and his colleague Chris MacKie who lives in
Dorset are a mine of information on these as well as turret clocks -
Chris has written a number of books on the subject. Malcolm was on the
committee which investigated the catastrophic failure of the "Big Ben"
turret clock in August 1976 and was party to the design of the braking
mechanism to prevent another runaway (designed as all the best British
inventions literally on the back of an envelope on the train from Waterloo).

We have a 1892 flat-bed Smiths of Derby clock and an 1893 drum chime at
Chertsey.

Regards

Peter