[Bell Historians] Jarrow Grange, Christ Church

Mike Chester mikechester at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 11 10:57:30 BST 2020

Dove and GAD's Bell Register currently has the 3rd bell at Jarrow Grange as being 1919 Taylors.  Every reference I can find has it as 1882.

A ring of 6 was installed in 1882 and were pealed as such in 1905.  Peter Rivet's booklet has its inscription as being just the founder and date, 1882, and all references I can find talk about two trebles being added in 1919. I have not found anything to suggest that the treble was recast/replaced.  Howard Smith tells me that the bell of 1882 has exactly the same weight recorded as the bell said to be from 1919 - though this might just be a strange coincidence.

Does anyone have definitive information as to the date of this bell, please?

Mike