[Bell Historians] Cathedral of the Dormition of the Mother of God and the Royal Martyrs, Gunnersbury

John Paul Adams jpa1260 at gmail.com
Sun May 10 17:19:21 BST 2020

I'm not able to provide any information about the two churches below but it
reminded me of something I found on YouTube recently.

I think we are all aware of the Zvons in Russia with the rhythmic striking
on bells by hand using the clappers. In Slovenia, there is a form of this
either using swinging bells or a mixture of swinging bells and clappering.

A good example of the automatic swinging bells are these two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLxCQK_XmT8 and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHS11LlqE8c
A good example of the mixed ringing is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_kifBBfOdc

I won't say any more now and spoil the surprise element of the videos, just
to say it was a refreshing find after the endless clanging videos of most
European towers. The second could even make an entry into Simon Linford's
YouTube competition when it comes to the young ringers round! There are
many more videos if you look through the poster's videos or search for
zvonovi.

Cheers,
John.