[Bell Historians] Request for info: women in bellfounding

Peter Rivet peter at plrivet.plus.com
Sat Apr 3 19:26:19 BST 2021

There is a nineteenth century woman bellfounder who doesn't get mentioned
much, though I don't know whether she had much active involvement: Frances
Blews of Birmingham.  William Blews died in 1887, at the age of 59 (see vol
III of Chris Dalton's Bells and Belfries of Dorset).  The bellfounding side
of his business was sold to Charles Carr of Smethwick in 1891.  During the
four year period between these dates his widow Frances appears to have run
it, though I am not sure how many bells the firm produced then.  Dalton only
mentions a single bell at Bournemouth St John the Evangelist of c.1890.

Peter Rivet