[Bell Historians] Request for info: women in bellfounding

Chris Pickford c.j.pickford.t21 at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 3 23:17:59 BST 2021

The Blews firm was rather more than just a bellfoundry, so being head of the
firm (as Fanny Maxwell Blews was after William died in 1887) was more of a
managerial role than a practical one, although Mrs Blews had been involved
in the office earlier on. The bellfounding output did tail off in the latter
years - before the bellfounding side was sold to Carr's of Smethwick and
some bell interests to Bisseker - and the figures from  my Blews list are:

1880

7

1881

9

1882

0

1883

0

1884

4

1885

1

1886

6

1887

1

1888

1

1889

2

1890

1

1891

1

1892

0

1893 (Bisseker)

1

The places to which bells were supplied (some since replaced or scrapped)
are

1880

Glen Quaich

1880

Liverpool (now at Towcester)

1880

Old Whittington (4 - all recast)

1880

Sheffield

1881

Blackborough

1881

Parkminster (6 - all recast)

1881

Rowley Regis (recast)

1884

New Whittington

1884

Rhoscrowther (2)

1884

Rondebosch

1885

Rhoscrowther

1886

Broadway

1886

Rathmullen

1886

Stoke Prior, Worcs (3 - recast)

1886

Tysoe

1887

Chasetown

1888

Llanbister

1889

Bournemouth

1889

Leeds

1890

Mangotsfield (recast)

1891

Sharrow (at Towcester)

1893

Cathcart (by H. Bisseker)

I have some further references to Mrs Blews if required

Chris Pickford

Kinver

Tel: 07811-453525

E-mail: pickford5040 at gmail.com