[Bell Historians] Halesworth, Suffolk

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Mon Aug 30 16:04:11 BST 2021

Neal Dodge wrote:

> In the Suffolk Guild library there's a book/ pamphlet entitled The Church of
> St Mary, Halesworth - A history of the bells by Doug Crooks. This would have
> been written within the last 20 or 30 years though I'm not sure what details
> it contains.

Thanks.  I shall see if I can find a copy.

> Before the Bowell rehanging of 1930 the rope circle was 17265438

I'd heard there was something odd about it, but not the
details, so thank you for that.  Based on the account in The
Ringing World at the time of the 1930 rehang, they had been
on two levels, with the back five in the c1611 Brend frame.
Was it perhaps an anticlockwise five with a clockwise
three-bell frame on top, meaning the three trebles fell
amongst the others?  (Or possibly the five was clockwise an
the three anticlockwise.)

Richard