[Bell Historians] Thomas Bullisdon

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Dec 9 10:38:18 GMT 2021

Sorry for the barrage of questions – I'm trying to tie up
some lose ends for a Ringing World article.  This question
is about Thomas Bullisdon, who can be identified as the
founder of the five at St Bartholomew the Great, Smithfield
from his mark on the bells, which incorporates his initials.

One of the better accounts I've read of Bullisdon is in
Deedes and Walters, 'Church Bells of Essex', though of
course this was written back in 1909.  It refers to the
churchwardens accounts of St Mary at Hill in the City of
London for 1508-11, which had been transcribed by Henry
Littlehales and published in 1905.  They refer to work done
to the bells by Bullisdon (spelt various ways, but never
with a first name), 'Coulverton' (again with no first name)
and 'Willm Smyth'.  Coulverton is clearly William Culverden.

Deedes and Watler also refer to the tenor at Weeley, Essex
with Bullisdon's mark (incorporating his initials) which can
be dated to 'about 1510' based on the donors, 'Vyllam Brooke
and Agnes his wyff'.

Until recently, I think this was all that was known about
Bullisdon's dates, and this is no doubt why all of his bells
in Dove are dated c1510.  However, both Dove and Peter
Dyson's Bell Founders Database list Thomas Bullisdon as
active between 1495 and 1515.  My guess is that the source
for both dates is the plea rolls from the Court of Common
Pleas, which have been digitised and partly indexed in the
last decade or so by the Anglo-American Law Tradition
project at the University of Houston.

1495 is the year of a suit brought by a Thomas Bullisdon or
Bullysdun 'bellefounder' (the clerk obviously didn't know a
suitable Latin word) of Algate [sic], London.  There's no
suggestion that he necessary started founding in that year –
rather, this is the earliest date we currently have for him.

The 1515 date seems to be his date of death, based on the
assumption that Thomas Bullisdon, the bellfounder of Aldgate
and Thomas Bullisdon, the skinner of Aldgate are are same
man.  This seems plausible as the executors of the skinner's
estate sued William Culverden, a braiser, for settlement of
a debt.  Culverden was also a bell founder.  There's also a
record of skinner suing a William Neuport, bell founder, for
another debt back in 1495, so the skinner evidently had
close dealings with bell founders, but this doesn't
necessarily mean he was one as they are not obviously
related professions.  Perhaps there were two men with the
same name in Aldgate, maybe a father and son.

However, in 1498, the founder is also describes as a
Merchant Stapler.  They are best know for controlling the
export of wool, but also controlled the export of hides, and
this would support him being both a skinner and a founder;
at times they also controlled the export of tin, and just
possibly this could explain why he was both a founder and a
stapler.

I've not heard of any recent accounts of Bullisdon, and I
can't find anything in the Ringing World index, so I don't
know whether this is the argument for the 1515 date.
Perhaps there's a much less circumstantial source which I've
missed, so my first question is whether there is a better
source for this date, or whether I have identified it
correctly.

Now that we know that Bullisdon was active from at least
1495 and may not have lived much beyond 1510, dating his
bells to c1510 is conservative in the sense that it errs to
the recent side.  This is entirely consistent with Dove's
policy, which is a very reasonable one, but it does mean
some of these bells are quite likely a little older than
stated.

The five at Smithfield are probably his most important
surviving ring.  Is there any reason to date them any more
precisely than they were cast during Bullisdon's career?
Specifically, is there any possibility that they could be as
early as the 1490s?  I'm aware of no records referring to
bells in the old priory besides John Stow's account which
does not seem to help here.

RAS