[Bell Historians] Elphick on the ancient bell at Hardham

Andrew Aspland aaspland at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 7 21:36:24 GMT 2021

In CB Sussex he writes, "If the bell is coeval with the church it was cast about 1050."  But he doesn't say what date it would be if it wasn't!Andrew

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 at 21:24, Richard Smith<richard at ex-parrot.com> wrote:
I've mislaid my copy of Elphick's Craft of the Bellfounder.
Could anyone do me a favour and look up what he says about
the age of the ancient bell at Hardham, Sussex?  I believe
he says it likely dates to around the time of the Conquest
and is probably England's oldest bell, but I'd be very
grateful if someone could check exactly what he says.

RAS