[Bell Historians] Elphick on the ancient bell at Hardham

Richard Offen richard.offen at iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 7 23:50:36 GMT 2021

In 'The Craft of the Bellfounder', Elphick uses Hardham as a frequent early example of the various processes involved in making a bell, but at no point actually gives a dating.

The nearest to a dating is in Chapter 2 (p9) on design: "If Lerwick is early 11th century and Bad Hersfield 1038, it would appear this lengthening process had stated by the fourth decade of the 11th century. If Hardham treble was cut off half way up its waist and a thin flat soundbow added, we would have a typical Romanesque bell, showing how much of the early design was retained."

There is an article on the Bad Hersfield bell, which was cast in 1038, on page 1084 of the 24/31 December edition of the Ringing World.

Richard