[Bell Historians] Early rings of eight

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Sat Mar 13 18:51:57 GMT 2021

Matthew Higby via Bell-historians wrote:

> I was under the impressions that
> HorhamĀ https://dove.cccbr.org.uk/detail.php?tower=14093 were the oldest 8
> and Merton were the oldest complete peal of 8 by one founder.

Add the word 'surviving' and you're right, at least based on
what's in Dove.  They, together with the ten at Derby
Cathedral, are the only surviving rings of eight or more
wholly dating to the 17th century or earlier.

However I'm not just interested in surviving rings.
Maidstone, for example, were probably an eight in the 17th
century, and Exeter Cathedral definitely were.  I can
probably think of another dozen off the top of my head.

RAS