[Bell Historians] FW: Dove Web Contact: St Mary the Virgin, Parham, Suffolk

Tim Jackson tim at timjackson.email
Thu Feb 10 17:48:59 GMT 2022

Please see below.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Cottrell [mailto:j.c.cottrell at btinternet.com]
Sent: 09 February 2022 21:47
To: Tim Jackson
Subject: Re: Dove Web Contact: St Mary the Virgin, Parham, Suffolk

Tim, may I ask a question on pre-full circle ringing terminology? I
understand that full circle ringing started in the 16th century. Our c1299
bell has a Latin inscription that is thought to translate to "Come, my
bride, to my rising/beginning/garden".  I know a full circle bell is raised
before being rung in a method and therefore 'to my rising' might be
considered the most likely of the 3 options for a bell inscription. Is there
any evidence that pre-full circle ringing involved the terminology of
raising a bell at any stage? Please do feel free to pass this question on to
your fellow Ringing World bell historians if you are not familiar with this
rather obscure area! Best wishes, John

Sent from my iPad