[Bell Historians] Hastings stays

c.j.pickford at talk21.com c.j.pickford at talk21.com
Wed Feb 23 15:36:15 GMT 2022

The Fletcher article seems good on the practical side by the look of it -
but wrong (I'm more or less certain) on the identity of the inventor.

Jennings The Development of British Bell Fittings (1991) credits the
invention to the Rev. Edward Hastings Horne (p.93). Jennings is wrong,
though, regarding Horne's date of death - he died in 1939 (not 1929). He
also refers to this as the invention of the Rev. Hastings Horne in his
history of Taylors Master of my Art (1987) p.69-70. Horne was curate of
Melton Mowbray 1889-91.

The correct name, incidentally, doesn't feature in Alison's list!

Chris Pickford

Kinver (UK)

Tel: 07811-453525

e-mail:  <mailto:pickford5040 at gmail.com> pickford5040 at gmail.com