[Bell Historians] Highest Ring of Bells Without a Lift

Peter Rivet peter at plrivet.plus.com
Wed Feb 23 20:05:50 GMT 2022

Mike

I used to ring at Durham Cathedral in the 1970s and we reckoned we had the highest climb anywhere in Britain, other than Liverpool – who of course have a lift.  The central tower is 218 feet high.  The only other possible contender I can think of is Boston Stump.  Pevsner gives the total height of the tower there as 272 feet, but the ringing room isn’t anything like as close to the top of the tower.

Peter Rivet