[Bell Historians] Highest Ring of Bells Without a Lift

John Harrison john at jaharrison.me.uk
Wed Feb 23 20:21:49 GMT 2022

In article <015a01d828f0$20ea2eb0$62be8c10$@gmail.com>,
   James White <mail.james.white at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The Queen's Tower itself is 287 feet tall.  The bells are perhaps two
> > thirds of the way to the very top with the ringing room immediately
> > below
> The Queen's Tower is reputed to be the highest building in London which
> does not have a lift but whether that is true or not is also open to
> debate.

The Elizabeth tower is 316 feet tall according to Wikipedia, and  the climb
from ground level to the belfry is 334 steps - half as many again as
Durham.  It's nearly 60 years since I climbed them but I don't remember
them as being small compared to what I was used to in bell towers.

--
John Harrison
Website http://jaharrison.me.uk