[Bell Historians] 17th century numbers in bell tower

Tony tony_probert at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 18:13:00 GMT 2022

Thank you for the feedback, here are some answers and more questions.
The tower is in St. Helen's church, Little Eversden.The old wooden frame with only 4 bells was deemed un-safe around 1953.
The actual date that 4 bells were installed is not currently known.
There could have been 4 bells in the frame in 1641, but there is no evidence for 5.

I believe records show 3 bells in St. Helen's in the 1552, and then 4 bells in 1869.However, the 4th youngest bell is dated 1756, which suggests an earlier date for 4.
Numbers, name and date are in an isolated spot, and survived relatively untouched.
The name is in old fashioned script but I believe it is Willyam F. Battell.
(A Will in national archives for this name dated 1651 shows a wealthy, local man)
I have lots of photos, but although the inscription is well 'carved', they are not great.
Regarding the sequences, could they be the number of lead between calls for touches?This isn't good for a 4-bell method with lead lengths of 8.But it might work for a 4 bell principle with lead length of 6.
I've found Erin and Badbury as examples of minimus principles but don't know their origin.
Were any minimus principle methods widely known in the 1640's?
Tony