[Bell Historians] 17th century numbers in bell tower

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu Jan 27 20:57:32 GMT 2022

La Greenall wrote:

> The middle 'initial' looks to me much more like a flourish or a personal
> cipher than the mere mark of an illiterate - although it could be both at
> the same time of course. I see more of a personal seal or the equivalent of
> a mason's mark in it. It has a strong presence.

That does sound extremely plausible to me.  Maybe a good
next step is to see if a copy of Battell's signature
survives to see whether it contains a similar device or
monogram.  The 1651 will in the National Archives is a
registered copy made shortly after probate was granted, so
does contain Battell's signature.

> Whether or not Mt. Battell commissioned either a domestic chiming clock for
> himself or a chiming turret clock for this church, he could have composed
> its tune, being what is recorded in these numbers. If it was a distinctive
> or even possibly unique little tune, then it might perhaps have been known
> as 'Battell's Chimes' locally, and so its written numerical form could also
> have acted as his 'mark'. So I wonder whether the rows of numbers are in
> fact another form of personal monogram.

I'd certainly accept that Battell could have composed a tune
for a clock chime – presupposing this is indeed a tune – but
I don't find idea that the figures for the chime could have
acted as kind of personal monogram at all convincing.  The
figures are poorly laid out and with no style.  They look
purely functional to me, as though they were written for a
purpose rather than for posterity.

> I'm probably now about to be completely misled, but in checking Wikipedia
> for the date of arrival of chiming domestic clocks, I soon noted that their
> entry on the Whittington chime says that:
>
>       "Before the name Whittington became common, the melody used to
>       be referred to as “chimes on eight bells”. However, evidence
>       suggests it was originally a chime on six bells – a melody that
>       has not been in use at St Mary-le-Bow since 1666."

Oh dear.  There is a technical term for describing the this
quote: that word is 'bollocks'.  I hardly know where to
start...

Whittington lived in the late fourteenth and early fifteenth
centuries, long before change ringing was invented.  St Mary
le Bow almost certainly had a least one bell then, as all
churches were required to, but I don't believe we can say
any more than that.  The idea that Whittington was called
back to London by the sound of the bells dates to the
opening years of the seventeenth century.

I don't imagine it is a coincidence that the story is first
recorded exactly as bell ringing was becoming a popular
secular sport, with visitors to London such as Frederic
Gerschow in 1602 noting how much bells were rung in London.
The idea of being recalled to London by the bells would have
made complete sense to the contemporary seventeenth century
folk, but is almost certainly anachronistic to Whittington's
time.

The specific identification of these bells with those at Bow
is first recorded half a century later still.  It seems
entirely plausible that Bow may have had a clock which
played a tune before the Fire.  Surviving copies of a
roughly contemporary mural at Cowdray House depicting Edward
VI's coronation procession in 1547 clearly show Bow with a
dial on north side of the tower.  The 1552 Edwardian
inventory says Bow had 'Fyve greate belles' and 'two Sanctus
belles', which, based on the evidence of Peter Mundy, had
been augmented to ten by the time of the Fire.

That said, I'm not aware of any evidence that there actually
was a musical chime at Bow before the Fire, and more
generally, the history of the pre-Fire bells at Bow is far
less clear than you might expect for such a prestigious City
church, with even the number of bells being uncertain.

'Whittington Chimes' are several related clock chimes based
on musical rows, normally on eight bells, and commonly found
in domestic clocks.  They often include rows like as rounds,
queens, tittums and kings.  If we define Whittington's on
eight as 12753468, this is not often one of them, though I
dare say someone will tell us they have a clock with chimes
that do include this row.  The use of the name Whittington
for the row and the chimes seems only to date to the
nineteenth century – like the names queens and tittums.

Why were they named after Whittington?  Probably for no
better reason that that his name was associated with bells
thanks to the seventeenth century folktale.

The suggestion that Whittington Chime, or perhaps his
eponymous row, was originally on six bells comes from some
lines in James Shirley's 1640 play 'The Constant Maid', in
which Hornet's unnamed niece says to her uncle, a usurer:

   Faith how many Churches doe you meane to build
   Before you dye? six bels in everie steeple,
   And let 'em all goe to the Citie tune,
   Turne agen Whittington

I cannot find a seventeenth century record of what this tune
was, but the Roud Folk Song Index references volume 4 of
Thomas D'Urfey's 1719 collection of songs for one voice,
'Wit and Mirth', which includes a song called 'The Epitaph',
'To the Tune of, Turn again Whittington', and helpfully
includes the score.  The tune uses just six notes and could
easily have been used as a chime on a diatonic ring of six
(or with a little adaptation, five), and maybe it was
somewhere.  It seems a bit of a reach to say that was at
Bow, but it's not impossible.

https://archive.org/details/imslp-and-mirth-or-pills-to-purge-melancholy-durfey-thomas/PMLP144559-Vol._4/page/n339

This tune could certainly have been inspired by listening to
rounds being rung on five bells, but it's a very long way
from the later Whittington Chimes and features no
recognisable rows other than rounds.  The only similarity is
that both use the name Whittington.  If this tune was played
at Bow before the Fire, it really cannot be said to be an
earlier form of Whittington Chimes; but as I've said,
there's no evidence it was used as a chime, at Bow or
anywhere else.

When the niece in The Constant Maid refers to 'the Citie
tune, Turne agen Whittington', she's not necessarily
referring to this precise tune D'Urfey recorded, but rather
the primary motif – rounds on five.  As to it being 'the
City tune', there were not many rings of five in 1640, and
few places where one might hear rounds on five from multiple
directions at once.  The City of London was one such place,
and this play need not be evidence of anything more
surprising than that rounds on five was being rung regularly
in London at the time.

Anyway, to continue with your email ....

> Could there be some distant echo of a connection between the 6/8 here and
> the 8/6/8/6 metre of the inscription? A common origin perhaps?

... I'm not sure what that connection might be.

The 6/8 in your Wikipedia quote, now a long way above, is
about the number of bells in the Whittington Chime.  The
8686 in common metre is the number of syllables per line.
If you wanted to realise common metre on bells, you'd
probably want seven rows, being the average number of
syllables per line in common metre.  Some forms of
Whittington Chimes do use seven bells, but with six bell
rows, so they don't work as common metre.

> One thought I had was that maybe the numbers 1 to 4 refer not to four bells
> but to the four steps of a four-step chiming sequence, i.e. all the 1s are
> to be struck first, followed by the 2s etc.; and the actual positions of the
> digits (either 6 or 8 of them) might refer to the individual 'bells' (of a
> smaller chime rather than the main ring of a church). This would mean that
> most of the steps consisted of more than one note, a bit like a Swiss
> musical box (and didn't church chimes also use pinned barrels?).

I'm afraid I'm not following you here.  However in answer to
your last point, yes, church clocks did sometimes have
chiming barrels at this point, and if you're asking whether
this would have allowed several bells to strike together,
then yes, it would – at least in principle.  Whether the
timing of the hammers would have been accurate enough that
they actually did sound together is another question, and my
suspicion is not.

> Maybe the last two (or first two, or last and first) 'bells' were not used
> in the six-figure lines?

In which case, why are they there?  Also, the biggest piece
of evidence supporting these figures being a tune is that
the line lengths are consistent with common metre.  If some
of the notes are not used, that's no longer the case.

> As for a formal tablet recording a worthy donation, I agree that it would
> not be tucked into a corner and would far more likely be displayed visibly,
> probably either on the ground floor or on the ringing floor of the tower.
> But such a generous act might not be recorded in a tablet at all. I can
> offer one example from Waltham Abbey church.

Oh, a great many bequests do not get acknowledged on a
tablet.  But how many of them are instead recorded by
graffiti in an obscure corner of the church?  Not many, I
bet.  We might have a case of that here, but there are lots
of other possible explanations too and that's the problem.
We can't choose an explanation simply on the basis that we
like it.

Richard