[Bell Historians] Access to a long-waisted bell for an experiment

bill at hibberts.co.uk bill at hibberts.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 20:51:14 BST 2022

I would like to get access to a long-waisted bell to take some measurements
and recordings. I am hoping that a list member may know of a bell I could
use for this experiment, or know of someone else who could help.

If there is any doubt, by long-waisted I mean a bell that looks like one of
the pictures here: https://www.hibberts.co.uk/long-waisted-bells/ . Suitable
bells are likely to date from the 1100s or 1200s. The purpose of the
investigation is to confirm the naming of partials for this type of bell. I
believe that the main partials in these bells are in a different frequency
order than those in a modern-shaped bell. I would like to confirm this by
testing an example.

The experiment involves marking up the rim of the bell with chalk, and then
taking recordings while striking the bell at multiple points around the rim.
This means that safe access is needed all round the bell - for example, a
bell in a turret is unlikely to be suitable.

For those who are interested in the detail, a similar experiment conducted
on a bell of conventional shape is described here:
https://www.hibberts.co.uk/identifying-bell-partials/.

I realise this is quite a cheeky request, I am hoping that local knowledge
from list members will avoid me having to email dozens of tower
correspondents and churchwardens in the search for a suitable candidate.

Please reply to bill at hibberts.co.uk <mailto:bill at hibberts.co.uk>  rather
than the list, and thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Regards,

Bill H