[Bell Historians] Kemberton

Nigel Taylor nigelsdtaylor at outlook.com
Wed May 18 19:50:04 BST 2022

Using A=440 equal temperament is a rather ham fisted means of measuring the tuning of rings except those which are intended to be 440 ET. Whitechapel only used this from around 1968 until 2000, previously using Just intonation. Gillett and Johnston used JI from 1907 until they closed in 1957, with a brief use of ET from 1926 until 1931. For Herz, I use whatever tuning and pitch standard is the best fit, and if the theoretical tuning is known, this is what I use. For most old rings, I use just or 1/5th comma meantone. I do use notes and cents as a crosscheck, but use the cents values for the tuning system I have applied in cents. For JI therefore, the values are: 0, 204, 386, 498, 702, 884, 1088, 1200. For Taylors stretched rings, the easiest way to check the values is to apply Pythagorean tuning, but without the 1 comma tempered 5th.

Nigel Taylor