[Bell Historians] Russian bells at Arundel Castle

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Thu May 19 17:44:59 BST 2022

Wikipedia has a number of photos of what it describes as
'three 17th century Russian Orthodox church bells' on
display at Arundel Castle, which were allegedly taken from
Sevastopol in 1856.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Orthodox_bell_ringing#Gallery

Does anyone know anything about these bells?  I can't see
anything in Elphick's Sussex, though he mentions a single
1656 call cast by M Kordt, and which is the heaviest of
three other bells listed in Dove.  Dove states M Cordt is
from Lübeck, though I cannot find any other information on
this founder.  Are these three bells the ones allegedly
taken from Sevastopol?  Are there another three bells there?
Or is the Crimea story apocryphal?

Richard