[Bell Historians] west toft norfolk

Andrew Bull a_m_bull at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 25 17:48:14 BST 2022

From: Bell-historians
[mailto:bell-historians-bounces at lists.ringingworld.co.uk] On Behalf Of
oliver Lee
Sent: 25 May 2022 17:24
To: bell-historians at lists.ringingworld.co.uk
Subject: [Bell Historians] west toft norfolk

I was wondering if anyone might know when the old eight at west toft where
last rung, judging by my own research I get the impression that they never
rung that much and they where almost certainly unringable by the time the
place was abandoned in the 1950s, However what I am curious to find out is
where they ever a gallery ring? (as I can remember reading this somewhere)
and was there ever a local band here ?.

Many thanks

Oliver lee

It seems likely that the bells were rung from a gallery, and that they were
still ringable when the village was closed in 1942 when the area became the
Battle School Area. There had been a peal rung there on 25 July 1936. The
bells were stolen in two raids during 1969. RW 1969 p505, 546, 703, RW 1998
p519, p619 refer. I'm sure David Cawley can add much more information.

Andrew Bull