[Bell Historians] west toft norfolk

Revd David Cawley davidl.cawley at btinternet.com
Thu May 26 09:53:02 BST 2022

Very good to have Paul Cubitt's image of the rope guide at West Tofts.
As can be seen, it is one of Bowell's wrought iron ones, and perhaps
dates from 1934 when two Bells were rehung by him.

I first visited West Tofts some 55 years ago !  At that time the eight
Bells were standing in the Estate Offices occupied by H. M. Forces,
along with the six from Tottington and a small Bell from Langford. The
single Bell from Stanford had already been recast by Taylors to be the
tenor at Kilifi in Africa.

The West Tofts eight and the Tottington six were subsequently returned
to the Church and stood in the base of the tower. There was a
substantial gothic screen across the tower arch. There was no ringing
gallery, and they had been a ground floor ring. On the first floor was a
fine clock (which is, I think, now at East Dereham), the dial of which
is now (I think) at Quidenham. Above this is the Bell chamber which
still contains the wooden two-tier frame of 1849 / 1856.

I remember too hearing much about West Tofts from ringers in the King's
Lynn area, notably Claude and Walter Cousins, who had both rung at West
Tofts, and Ernie Mastin who wished he had! I know they were pealable
right up until WW2 and were regarded as a popular ring, despite the lack
of a local band in this tiny village.

My next visit was with Ranald Clouston in 1968, largely to collect data
on the Tottington Bells, long unringable, the front five  of which were
subsequently given to St Alphege, Whitstable, Kent. These Bells were
collected on 31st January 1969. The West Tofts eight and the Tottington
tenor were left in the base of the tower. Despite the presence of the
Military, these nine bells were stolen in two daring raids within a
month.

A very sad story. However, although West Tofts Church remains in the
Stanford Practical Training Area (STANTA), the Church has been restored
and many of its furnishings have been reinstated. By far the best time
to see it is the annual service, usually held in July, which is held
under the auspices of the Guild of All Souls, which remains the Patron.
There remain two small Bells, Taylor 1856, hung for swing chiming over
the Chancel Arch. Note that access is restricted.

It is some time now since I was last there, so please excuse me for
adding E & OE !

DLC

Revd David Cawley
2B St John's Hospital