[Bell Historians] Oldest set of six?

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Fri Jul 19 12:11:36 BST 2024

On Fri 19 Jul 2024 11:02, John Harrison wrote:
> I am giving a talk in Harwell later this year and have been told by my
> host that: 'Harwell does have the oldest set of 6 bells in the country'.
>
> That seemed an odd thing to say since Harwell is an 8 to I looked it up on
> Dove.  The back six are indeed old, being cast by two founders on several
> dates between 1590 and 1612.
>
> Since they were not cast as a ring of six, and are not currently a six, I
> assume that 'the oldest set of 6 bells' means 'no other tower has at least
> 6 bells from 1612 or earlier'.  That's not a query that Dove can perform
> so can anyone verify or refute it?

The Dove website does not allow you to answer precisely the question
you've asked: which tower has the six oldest bells.  However, I would
suggest that it is not the fact that Harwell has six old bells that
makes them special, but rather that it is the back six bells, so you can
still go and ring minor on the old six.

You can use the Dove website to answer the question which is the oldest
six, if back sixes are included.  Go to the tower list page:

   https://dove.cccbr.org.uk/dove

In the number of bells selector, choose '6+'.  In the 'sort by'
selector, choose 'Newest bell'.  This will cause a new selector titled
'Inc. back ns' to be displayed.  Go to to that, and choose 'Yes', which
will mean you are ordering by the newest bell in the back six, rather
than in the full ring.

Press the 'Go' button to run the search.  This will take you to the
following page:

https://dove.cccbr.org.uk/dove?bells=6%2B&include_back_ns=1&order=newest_bell

This list will confirm that Harwell are the oldest back six, based on
the age of the newest bell in the back six (1612).   The second and
third oldest are also in the Oxford Diocese: at Hurst (1642) and
Dorchester (1651).