[Bell Historians] Peal board names

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Tue Sep 29 13:14:53 BST 2026



On Tue 29 Sept 2026 11:51, Erin Caters via Bell-historians wrote:
> I'm checking other peal boards and one has three names abbreviated to 
> Jno and one to Joh. I;m assuming John for the 1st 3 and Joseph for the 
> last one?

I've not idea which names you're talking about.  But the ringers of 1 
and 2 on the 1729 board you attached are Thomas Howard and Thomas 
Woodford, while the ringer of 6 could be Joseph, Josiah or Joshua Booth, 
but Joseph would be the most usual meaning of that abbreivation.

> And the treble ringer on the attached - ? Scrips

Ino Scrips – this will be John, or conceivably Jonathan, but Jno was 
usually John.

> 2nd photo ringer of 7th ? Carley - looks more like a T than J but I 
> can't think what Tno might be

Again, John Carley.

> 7 and 8 on the 3rd picture- jno Carley and Jona - Jonah? Barlow

John Carley and Jonathan Barlow.

RAS



More information about the Bell-historians mailing list