[r-t] "Magic" blocks of minor **and major**

Philip Earis pje24 at cantab.net
Thu Aug 12 21:19:39 UTC 2004

> It turns out to be quite simple to extend this idea to get
> 180 methods in a 2160 with a three-part structure -- i.e.
> exactly half a lead of each method.

That's very interesting, Richard.  I was ringing something on a similar plan
this evening :-)  Can you extend the idea to get 420 different
treble-dodging minor grids into a 7-extent peal though?!

> I also used the idea to produce a 40,320 of spliced surprise
> major but it is a bit inelegant as there is a double change
> every half lead and lead end.  Nevertheless it is possible
> pair over and underworks such that it all joins up without
> calls (and without all the methods being Derwent variants).

So do you think an extent of spliced major on this plan is possible without
using a single every half-lead & lead-end to turn it into a minor problem?
Any ideas on how to proceed anyone?