[r-t] Minor principles

Alexander Holroyd holroyd at math.ubc.ca
Mon Aug 16 16:40:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Mark Davies wrote:

> If we MUST talk about Minor, can anyone be helpful and supply me with a nice
> 720 of the following method?
>
> Rapid Rap Minor
> -36-34.16.34-56 = 612345

I don't think this is possible (or at least not without roughly one call
per lead).  Consider starting at a different place in the lead:
34-5-3-34.1

123456
213465
124356
213456
124365
214635
126453
216435
------
261345

Started like this, there exists no true set of leads containing the
extent.  To see this note that the first 5 rows all have the 3 pairs
12,34,56 in their own positions, and there are 8 such rows in total.  The
3 missing rows 123465,214365,214356 must appear as the last 3 rows of some
lead (since the last 3 rows of the lead also "keep pairs together"), but
looking at the place notation -34 for the last 3 rows, this isn't
possible.

Why the interest in this rather strange method anyway?

Ander