[r-t] Extents of minor

Martin Bright mjbright at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Aug 18 11:30:28 UTC 2004

--On 18 August 2004 12:09 +0100 Robin Hall <halls at twiddlepin.org.uk> wrote:

> A (very very) crude upper limit (I'm no graph theorist - in fact I've
> never even heard of one before) would be 7200. Simply on the basis that I
> think there are only 11 place notations, and you can't have the one
> you've just had.

You mean 10^720 then, which is rather large.

There must really be loads - as well as all the extents using sensible
methods, there will be vastly many more which have no structure, but are
just seemingly random sequences of changes.

I'd be surprised if there were a good way of working this out.  Given that
it's very hard to determine whether a general graph _has_ a Hamiltonian
cycle (i.e. a cycle that visits every vertex precisely once), it must also
be difficult to count them.  (Otherwise, to tell whether one existed, you
could just count them and see whether there were more than 0.)  Of course
this isn't a random graph, it's a rather special one, but even so...

There may be some known heuristics, but I'm also no graph theorist so I
wouldn't know.

Isn't the number of extents of minimus known?

Martin

--
Martin Bright
Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Liverpool