[r-t] Re: Irregular Falseness

Robin Woolley robin at robinw.org.uk
Fri Dec 10 10:58:16 UTC 2004

What goes around comes around!

I've finally got round to reading Richard Smith's 26th November posting on
falseness in, inter alia, irregular methods. I've even found the typo! (I
hope this was deliberate, just to check who's awake.)

This topic was aired with respect to Cardington S8 in the summer of '79 in
the RW, (naturally). I haven't the details to hand but Roger Baldwin (I
think) said, that for general coursing orders, he used the order in which
the bells arrived in 7-8 at the lead end. Using this, Cardington has c/o
7523468

It is obvious that falseness in irregular methods must be isomorphic to
regular methods. Why? Consider the two methods K626 and K522 S8. These have
common place notations apart from the half-lead place so K626 is regular and
K522 not. Since falseness can be derived from just the first half-lead of a
method, then these two methods must have the same falseness - it just looks
different - but that is what isomorphism deals with.

I remember looking for an isomorphism three years ago, but most of my
thinking is done whilst out jogging these days and finding isomorphisms is
definitely one of those things which needs paper & pencil. (Especially when
there are three to find).

Also, from memory, during the discussion of notation of lead end groups for
irreg. minor methods, weren't those which have 4ths place lead ends missed
out? (Nice to see the 'traditional' letters 'G' - 'O' used).

Robin