[r-t] Stedman triples

Philip Saddleton pabs at cantab.net
Thu Dec 9 12:06:41 UTC 2004

I don't disagree with most of Eddie's reasoning, but there is a little
more work to be done...

Edward W Martin wrote:

> In Caters and Cinques etc, I see no reason why all calls could not be
> after say quick sixes. The composition would not be so convenient to
> knit together but sufficient calling places do exist. However, Triples
> is a different matter. As with Doubles the proof is in obtaining the
> extent and like you, I do not know of any 5040 that has all calls
> after say quick sixes. I’m fairly convinced that it can’t be had. My
> reasoning (if mathematicians will forgive me) is as follows: I have
> made what I think is a thorough search for all possible course
> structures and I haven’t found one that fits this requirement. This
> only leaves bobbed blocks (or compound blocks built up from bobbed
> blocks). Blocks with consecutive bobs would fail the criterion,
> therefore our building material would have to be something along the
> lines of B P B P B P etc. But here, sooner or later we will need to
> join otherwise excluded blocks. If we use common singles this will
> invert the flow of changes and alter what on paper had been B P B P to
> become P B P B.. So we not only need to design blocks P B PB etc but
> also to design blocks to be excluded from the main comp and of the
> nature B P B P This is asking a lot. I don’t know how to program a
> computer but I think we paper & pencil boys would be overwhelmed. What
> about a bobs only format? As I understand it this depends on the
> sequence of omit slow, bob quick, bob slow bob quick, omit slow
> followed by a tight bobbed block with bobs at both quick and slow.
> These blocks can be plained away extensively as demonstrated by Messrs
> Johnson and Saddleton but I don’t think that even they have shown any
> likelihood of choosing bobs after only say quick sixes and this with
> extensive computer searches traveling at the speed of light.

We could possibly have blocks containing bobs and singles, where because
of the mixed nature of the sixes a single can shunt us into another part
of a block rung the same way round - or alternatively use a set of
part-ends that are both in and out of course, such as Thurstans' blocks.

> In triples I searched for course structures where singles made in 4-5
> would be an integral part of the course structure but although I found
> a few, I was disappointed in that I did away with the need for common
> singles at the six end but still could not get away from the need for
> bobs at the six end. This is understandable if you can follow my fuzzy
> logic:
>
> If it is possible to set out the 5040 in 60 identically structured
> courses then, each course must have 14 types of six. The requirement
> is that all sixes MUST be plained at the parting and, allowing that we
> may bob or single or whatever in the middle of a six, whatever we do,
> each six-type must exist in two complementary halves. In short, for
> building material what we need are 60 plain course structures that can
> be cut and pasted at half six points. Unfortunately it has been
> demonstrated that the 5040 cannot be set out in 60 true plain course
> structures, therefore we are up the creek.

Another possibility is that the two halves of a six occur in sixes of
different types: suppose that the peal comes round with a call - we start

1234567
2135476
2314567

and so need to include somewhere

3215476
3124567
1325476

this could be the first half of a quick six, or the second half of a
slow six. Thus showing that 60 plain courses don't exist is insufficient.

You could argue that pairs of bobs (or a bob that lasts seven changes)
give a symmetrical lead. It is possible to join twin bob courses with
calls at the half-six, so

5040 Stedman Triples (T Thurstans arr T Brook arr pabs)
1234567   2  3  4
-----------------
6354127   -  -    |A
234516    -  2  - |