[r-t] Irregularity

Richard Smith richard at ex-parrot.com
Sun Dec 12 22:19:14 UTC 2004

Robin Woolley wrote:

> For those of us of a certain age, the extant doubles collection when we
> learnt used 'A' - 'F' for its lead end orders.

The current CC Doubles Collection (pub 1980) still uses a
separate system for Doubles lead heads / ends.

  125 lead ends: A B G H J K
  1   lead ends: E F
  123 lead ends: Q R S T U V

I wonder what became of L-P?

> Was it Süssmayr or Salieri who murdered Mozart - I forget.

Salieri, if you choose to believe that.  Shaffer putting it
in his play (and later, film) doesn't necessarily make it
true.  It was Süssmayr who finished Mozart's Requiem (K626).

> Is |Bristol a candidate for the 'Friday' challenge? It's the only method
> which springs to my mind having identical sectional falseness.

No. It doesn't have a half-lead variant with a 7-lead
course.

> Further to my previous remarks, would Baldwin's method give a unique
> coursing order for a method, in that, since 7-8 are always adjacent, we
> could require '7' to be first and '8' to be last in any written version?
> Call this the 'principal coursing order' if you like - by way of a
> definition.

Yes.  This gives a unique coursing order, and it's probably
about the best way of choosing a canonical coursing order
for methods in general.  No doubt there will be occasions,
however, when there is a more logical choice of coursing
order.  For instance, I would say the most natural choice of
coursing order for PABS' irregular method for the "Friday
challenge" is 8532467 to emphasise that fact that it just
the regular coursing order with 7 and 8 over.

Richard